Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Civic Duty

Ok, so here's the deal. Yesterday I went in to serve my jury duty. I figure, ok so I sit in a room all day and read a book then I go home, worst case I get on a jury and have to be here for a couple of days. Wrong. it can go way way worse than that.

I obviously can't talk about the case, and anyway I don't really know anything about it. But the trial would be a long one. Like a month. And if Chris doesn't go to work he doesn't get paid, and then he can't pay his rent at the beginning of next month. This apparently wasn't enough for the judge so I made it past into the jury pool. Apparently doing your civic duty includes being evicted. Awesome. I hate it. And today during the little interview the lawyers have with the potential jury one of the lawyers went off on me like I was a hostile witness. I was saved by the other lawyer who objected, but seriously. I admit, the idea of being financially crippled isn't particularly appealing to me and that is what will happen if I get put on this jury. It's not that I don't want to serve on a jury, I just can't serve on this one, I also have personal opinions about this case which I made known today.

It's very anoying, I'm trying to make my personal prejudices as they pertain to this case known so that there can be a fair trial and I got skewered for it today. Civic duty fucking blows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home