Thursday, January 11, 2007

Sense memories

So on two occasions today I had bizarre flashbacks to completely unrelated moments in my life. The first happened at the office today, I was scanning the bills and suddenly I noticed that it smelled exactly like Kasteel Well at dinner, it's not something I can explain to anyone who hasn't smelled it, but it is distinct. It was so weird, and there wasn't anyone in the office I could grab and be like, "Doesn't that smell exactly like the dining hall when Nelly's cooking??" It specifically flashed me to working security, which really just entailed locking classrooms and turning off lights...and walking around a castle late at night which freaked me right out. But I got to go to the teachers dining room and that smell was in the kitchen of the office today. It was SO weird. But they say smell is the sense most tied to memory.

The second thing was tonight. I was helping Topher pick music for his party, and came across "This is my song" performed by Petula Clark. I hadn't thought about the Music Theatre Restaurant in ages, but just as abruptly as I had been swept off to the Netherlands it was off to that godforsaken buffet. The pianist, an older man, who I now realize was gay, played "This is my Song" and "Dream a little dream of me." I recognized "This is my Song" one night and told him I loved it and "Dream a Little Dream" which I had heard him playing, and from then on he played them both every night I worked, and he always got a smile out of me from across the dining room. He was very sweet and had lots of suggestions for me about my ongoing college search, and was very positive about Emerson when I told him about it. Towards the end of working there he gave me a bookmark, it was very simple, the kind you would see in any bookstore by the checkout. It just said "Forever Friends."

I went back to the restaurant to visit after my freshman year at Emerson and found out that Arthur had died. I still think about him whenever I hear those songs. He was a classy guy, and he remains the only musician to play love songs for me.

I still have the bookmark.


"Love, this is my song
Here is a song, a serenade to you
The world cannot be wrong
If in this world there is you

I care not what the world may say
Without your love there is no day
So, love, this is my song
Here is a song, a serenade to you...
"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home