Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Drag Queens, Rock stars, and Politics

So last week sucked. A lot. I was stressed at GG for the first time since I've worked there, and then on Thursday when I got to work Mark pulled me aside to tell me that the execs had voted unanimously that they wanted me to come on the cruise (company retreat which the staff went on this past weekend, I was previously not invited because I work there part time, which was something I understood and was fine with) So I was a little excited and everyone was happy I was coming. Then at 4:15 I'm in the finance office winding down the day and I expressed that I was concerned that I wasn't going to have much time to pack between work and the Scissor Sisters concert that night. That was when my boss said, "oh, yeah, about that. The VP couldn't add you to the passenger manifest, it was too late and customs has deadlines." I didn't believe him at first, and asked probably three or for times if he was serious before I believed him. I was devastated. I had been totally fine with the fact I wasn't going, no problem at all. So to then be invited and THEN told I couldn't go sucked WAY more. I held it together for the rest of the time I was there but was just this side of tears. That was the shitty rotten cherry on top of the melted sundae that was my week. I was pissed and upset. If they had decided one day earlier I could have gone, or if they had never told me it would have been fine. Instead I had to go back into work today and hear people laughing about the cruise and talking about how great it was. And there were all the pictures of everyone drunk and having a great time on the boat. I was not a happy camper today. Ugh, that said on to other things.

As I said, I went to the Scissor Sisters concert on Thursday, it was V's amazing, wonderful birthday present to me and the unrivaled highlight of my week. They were great and I love the new album...except for Transistor...don't particularly like the song. Anyway, Jake Shears and Del Marquis are fucking hot as hell and I could watch both of them for hours. There was a particularly aromatic gentleman standing near us with his boyfriend. Now when I say aromatic I mean that he had a wall of B.O. that expanded at least 5 feet from his person. And he INSISTED ON DANCING WITH HIS ARMS UP OVER HIS HEAD. At times he just had his hands up on his head, but sweet Jesus he reeked. V and I were both perplexed as to how anyone with a boyfriend or date could be allowed out of the house smelling like that. It was an unfortunate situation, though amusing because at one point in the show Ana and Jake were doing a little schtick between songs and they compared their fans to deadheads then said "except our friends smell better" And I leaned over V and said, "not all of us" Which got a decent laugh from a couple of people nearby.

Perhaps the highlight of my evening aside from the concert was when I looked up at the balcony and standing directly above us was Miss Coco Peru. I just about wet my pants. For those of you who don't know her, she is a drag queen and I have been a fan for years, since high school, and am always excited to see her in films and on TV. She was one of the most consistent figures in my tiny window on the gay world. I adore her, and wanted so much to congratulate her on her recent wedding in Spain, and just be able to meet her. Alas, she was in the VIP section and I couldn't get to her. However being the intelligent little queer that I am I went to her website www.cocoperu.com to try and find out when she would be making appearances and/or performing here in LA. Sadly, there were no performances so I added myself to her mailing list and with that there is an option to send Miss Coco a note, so I did. I said basically what I said above, and how excited I was to see her in person if only from a distance. I expected notes sent through the website to go to an assistant or manager or whoever runs the website. So imagine my glee when the very next morning I wake to find an actual letter from Miss Coco Peru, not just a standard auto reply, no, an actual note responding to my letter. I just about died and love her even more now.

And finally on an unrelated note, I would like to bitch about politicians, and gay media. First a sharp reprimand to the Advocate for giving Ex New Jersey governor McSkeezy the cover. This is not a man I want applauded or recognized in any way. The headline was "Happy at last." I guess he wasn't happy in bed with his lover while his wife gave birth to their second child, or at the rest stop, or when he was engaging in the activities and corruption for which he is now being investigated. I think maybe "at Last" came a little too soon. And now he is making money off of this story, being rewarded for his behaviour. Being in the closet is difficult it's true. It isn't happy, or healthy. But being closeted is not an excuse for being a lousy human being. Which brings us to our next topic. Mr Foley. I love it when the Republicans get what's coming to their righteous arrogant asses, and I do love it when a high ranking Republican falls and the house of cards comes right on down with him. This story has just kept getting better. First he resigns amid talk of inappropriate e-mails with a page. Then we get to hear that he had sexually explicit IMs with another page, and even allegedly held up a vote in congress so he could cyber fuck a 16 year old. GROSS. But what's this?? The people above him knew about this before??? REALLY? So Republicans even higher up were covering up inappropriate communications between a teenager and a 50 something year old congressman??? It's like Christmas, my birthday, and a great Broadway show all rolled into one. And now he's in an alcohol rehab program, claiming to have been abused by the clergy at a young age and saying he's gay, which he has denied vigorously in the past, while voting for the DoMA, even going so far as to call the rumors of his sexuality "revolting and unforgivable." Kinda like having cyber sex with a 16 year old when you champion a bill to prevent exploitation of children? Yeah, I think that falls in the category of revolting and unforgivable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home